My Outlining Process


An outline is a structure that breaks down the events of your story. Essentially, outlining is creating the story - the world, plot, and characters - in shorthand.



The benefits of outlining:
  • It makes drafting easier. You know exactly what scene you’re going to write next, so there’s no excuses. While it’s still normal to get stuck while outlining, at least you get the hard stuff out of the way before drafting.
  • An outline keeps plot holes and useless tangents at bay because you can spot them before you have to rewrite the last 20,000 words.  
  • Outlining makes the climax more intense because you can plan for it.
  • There’s usually less revising because you’ve put so much thought into how the story will progress beforehand.

I tried to pants my first draft and had to scrap the entire thing. 90,000 words down the drain all because I didn’t outline. Now that I’m concocting an outline for my story, I’ve grown to love it more than I thought possible. It’s not even close to being what it was - it’s SO much better. I’ve grown more excited to write since I started my outline because I know what awesome thing will happen next. If I’m not excited, my story is probably too boring and I need to spice it up.

****Remember that when you’re actually drafting, things can change. The outline is just a guide, and your characters may lead you somewhere better.



My process

First, I brainstorm, asking “what if” in search of conflict points between the setting and characters. When I think of the most interesting conflict for the setting and characters I’m working with, I create an elevator pitch using this structure by Vivien Reis:

1. Your protagonist.
2. The story problem.
3. Stakes if they don’t succeed.

(Insert #1) must (insert #2) in order to (insert #3).


After brainstorming, I begin plotting using Dan Wells’ plot structure:

  1. Hook - HERO has a sad, boring life.
    1. Start at the opposite of where the character arc ends.
  2. Plot turn 1 - HERO becomes a ROLE.
    1. Like MP moves you from beginning to end, it moves you from beginning to MP.
    2. Introduce conflict.
    3. Character’s world changes and he meets new people, secrets, follows white rabbit.
    4. Call to adventure/meet new ideas.
  3. Pinch 1 - A BAD GUY attacks.
    1. Apply pressure - s/t goes wrong, bad guys attack, peace destroyed.
    2. Force characters → action.
    3. Often introduces the villain.
    4. All is scarier than imagined.
  4. Midpoint - HERO learns the truth about SOMETHING, and swears to DEFEAT the VILLAIN.
    1. Exact center between hook state and resolution state.
    2. Character moves from reaction to action.
    3. Learn stuff about problem and do something about it
  5. Pinch 2 - COMPANIONS fall to the VILLAIN, and the HERO is left alone.
    1. Apply more pressure until the situation is hopeless
    2. A plan fails, the mentor dies, the bad guy seems to win.
    3. Jaws of defeat from which hero snatches victory. Make sure the teeth are sharp.
    4. Lose everything.
    5. Forces independence.
  6. Plot turn 2 - Facing the VILLAIN, HERO discovers THE POWER IS IN HIM.
    1. Moves from MP to end
    2. MP = decision. Resolution = doing it. PT2 = obtain final thing to make it happen
    3. Power is in you.
  7. Resolution - HERO defeats VILLAIN.
    1. What the story is about/leading up to.

Notes:
  • Need/Can Use:
    • Round characters
    • Rich environments
    • “Ice Monster” Prologue
      • Hook scene of some story arcs
      • Not very interesting
      • Most arcs start in position of weakness
      • Most plots start before conflict is introduced
      • Grab readers’ attention now and lay foundation for strong story twenty chapters from now
      • Exciting - hint at cool stuff to come before launch into real plot
    • Try/Fail Cycles
      • Before heroes succeed at anything important, should try and fail at least twice
      • Victory should be earned
      • Problem that can be solved on first try is not big enough for your readers to care about
      • Demonstrate consequences
      • Can be victories
    • Plots and Subplots
      • Most stories have more than one plot
      • Each thread of plot, action, and growth can be mapped out with the Seven-Point system (Action, Character, Romance, Betrayal)
      • Spread out events for good pacing
      • Line up events to create powerful moments and scenes - big, important things happening at same time create memorable scenes

To begin, I fill in the blanks for the beginning, midpoint, and end. Once I fill in all seven parts, I think of ways to get from one part to the next. My goal is to find my story’s best possibilities.

When creating scenes, I’ll think about what my character wants, why, and how they’ll get it. Each character in each scene should have a goal, an obstacle, and a reaction.

The best way for me to outline is to plot and develop characters at the same time. That way, I create characters that fit the plot and a plot that fits the characters. I think about their fears; what they want (which is a conscious, wrongful desire based on their flawed mindset) vs what they need (their unconscious, healthy desire); and the internal, interpersonal, and external conflicts they have. If they aren’t coming to life, I’ll write a scene or two to figure out their voice. The character’s background will organically become necessary as the process continues, so I’ll figure it out when the problem arises.

I try to harmonize my characters’ arcs. The protagonist’s arc becomes the theme. They start with a lie in their head that will ruin their life. They must see this lie as it is because of the plot. I try to mimic the arcs of other characters I like, being sure to start the character off in a place opposite of where they end up.  

When I have a plot I basically like, I’ll look at it closer and closer to discern what is and isn’t working until it’s finished. As the outline evolves, I make sure there are enough mysteries, promises, stakes, and twists to keep the plot interesting.



There are so many ways to outline, but the only way to find what works for you is to try. Use bits and pieces of other people’s processes, and do your own thing. Get creative. Try something unique, even if you don’t know how it will turn out. You may just surprise yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Middle

The End

The Art of the Plot Twist