What Christmas Means to Me

Pentatonix wrote an original song a few years ago called “That’s Christmas to Me.” It’s dulcet, tranquil, and captures the nostalgia of Christmas memories. So it inspired me to write a list of ten things I love about Christmas.
Writing this list allowed me to reflect on all I have to be grateful for and to get into the Christmas spirit. I encourage you to try writing a few small things you love about this time of year - and share the joy by commenting them below! Here’s my personal list of things I love about Christmas:
  1. Togetherness. In this season of giving, the most irreplaceable and special gift we can give is our presence to others. Christians and non-Christians alike treat Christmas as a celebration of family, love, and giving back, which is beautiful.
  2. Christmas break. The two weeks off school is well-needed and long-awaited at this point in the year. It’s an opportunity to forget work, spend time with family, and catch up on writing and reading.
  3. Snow. Even light flurries make me feel like I’m in an urban wonderland or a rolling meadow scene from an impressionist painting. There’s something magical and awe-inspiring about a light dusting, like powdered sugar, or even a howling blizzard that makes you afraid to leave the house.
  4. Warmth. Dropping temperatures provide excuses for hot cocoa, heavy blankets, and blazing fireplaces.
  5. Traditional holiday music is comforting. The basic rhythms played over and over every year remind us of simpler times in the midst of holiday chaos.
  6. Decorations. I love decorating the tree and hanging Christmas lights with my dad in the freezing cold. Decorating is time spent together for the purpose of indulgence and extravagance; which isn’t always a bad thing.
  7. The treats. I love sweets and know that God gave us taste buds to enjoy the food around us with. Food makes the holidays fun.
  8. Christmas movies. There’s Die Hard, Elf, Christmas Vacation, The Polar Express, It’s a Wonderful Life, and so many more. They tell relatable tales about family and holiday drama, teaching simple, heart-warming lessons.
  9. Traditions are something exciting to looks forward to. My family decorates the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving while playing Christmas Vacation in the background every year. On Christmas Eve we go to church, see the new Star Wars movie in theaters, eat out, and drive around looking at Christmas lights. What traditions does your family uphold? Comment below!
  10. The giving this time of year is representative of the gift of Jesus Christ. Christmas is a time for extravagance - extravagant lights, food, gifts, and love. God lavished His love upon us, which we remember by giving - and I don’t mean spending money. I mean giving the priceless gift of our presences to others. Be with your family this holiday season - be present, be willing to love and serve them, and trust me, it will be a Christmas to remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Middle

The Art of the Plot Twist

The End