Does God Want You to Be A Writer?

As a teen writer, I understand it’s nearly impossible to know what God wants for you at this point in your life. I thought I knew since age eleven I would be an author. Now, at sixteen, I also feel God pushing me to work for a company that helps children in third world countries. If you are going through a similar debacle and aren’t sure what God is calling you to, ask yourself these questions:

Do I feel a deep desire to write? If God has put it on your heart to write, you’ll feel it. God wouldn’t call you to something you don’t like. He wants us to serve Him, and in doing so be fulfilled.

What do others say about my work? What others say doesn’t define your ability, but if others praise you or you’ve won awards for your writings, it means God’s given you a gift. God wants us to use our gifts. Even if no one praises your work, you can still be a gifted writer.

Has God spoken to me through Scripture? Have you been struck by a parable or verse that confirms your passion for writing? For example, my church recently had a sermon series on how the Bible relates to Pixar films. In each sermon, a Pixar story was used to illustrate and spread God’s Word. I saw the importance in storytelling and my resolution to write was strengthened. That was God telling me not to give up.

Have particular experiences led me toward the path of writing? This past summer, I went to a writing conference and was introduced to some of the kindest people I’ve ever met. I was educated and inspired by the speakers’ words. A giddy feeling followed me after I left and I wrote 30,000 words in the next ten days. Have you had similar experiences? Perhaps God is speaking to you.



Should you write for a living? Some writers pose this question out of self-doubt, rejection, or criticism. Recognize when the Devil is discouraging you and when God is urging you to lay it down. If you aren’t sure, pray about it or take a short break from writing.

Most importantly, you don’t have to decide right now. Your whole life is ahead of you, and most adults still don’t have their careers figured out. Always consider different career paths. God’s will for our lives isn’t simple or black and white. He calls us toward and away from many different events, people, and careers throughout our lives. He will call you back to it if He wants you to pursue it.

A synonymous question would be: should I pursue this writing thing full-on? My answer is to do what you have time for. Read books on the craft and write often. Writing is an important calling. Someone out there needs your book. If God has called you to write, don’t waste your talent. Keep pushing through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Middle

The End

The Art of the Plot Twist